- Children of Africa free of HIV/AIDS and empowered to reach their fullest potential.
- Global Camps Africa equips South Africa’s vulnerable youth with the tools to lead healthy, empowered lives and make positive impacts on their communities.
- South Africa has the largest HIV epidemic in the world, with 7 million people living with HIV and over 200,000 deaths per year due to AIDS.
- There are about 360,000 children, aged 0-14, living with HIV and over 2.4 million orphaned children, aged 0-17, due to AIDS virus.
- Even with the high prevalence rates of HIV/AIDS, the majority of the population, particularly in Soweto, have never been tested for the virus.
- Women in sub-Saharan Africa are twice as likely to acquire HIV via unprotected heterosexual intercourse than men. This can be attributed to many reasons including violence against women, inequality within the family, or having no say in condom use.
(Statistics taken from 2016 UNAIDS report and Avert.org)